NOTE: These steps are for the 2023 upcoming live/VOD platform ONLY.
Have questions or connection issues with the new live / VOD platform? Check out these helpful tips below. Still need help? We’re here for you! Email email@example.com for assistance.
IMPORTANT: If using a trainer/external device, check your connections before you begin!
Click on your issue or topic below:
- Start Here: best practices and things to rule out
- I'm unable to connect my devices to the system
- I have a wheel-on smart trainer, and the resistance is way too high
- I'm constantly running out of gears / can't get into certain zones (e.g. the resistance is so high that even in my easiest gear, I can't get into Z1)
- Data dropouts during the session
- My power meter is only displaying half the watts I’m putting out
- I can’t hear others/hear the instructor, and/or nobody can hear me
- I'm having ongoing issues with your devices and/or want to use ERG mode, but still want to follow the VOD
- My issue isn't listed here, but I still need help
Start Here: best practices and things to rule out
- Make sure your device is Bluetooth compatible (ANT+ devices will not work).
- Make sure you are running the latest version of Google Chrome, or if you're on an iPad, running the latest version of the Velocity Cycling app.
- Make sure your smart trainer / power meter’s firmware is up to date (check your device manual to find out how to do this. In most cases, you’ll use a simple phone or computer app to update the device firmware periodically).
- Make sure that there are NO other Bluetooth connections between your devices (e.g. if you have a bike computer connected to your power meter, make sure the bike computer is OFF when you connect to the platform)
- If you have a power meter, smart trainer, and/or cadence sensor, make sure you give your pedals a few spins immediately before connecting so that the Bluetooth transmitter in the device doesn't go into idle mode (this can prevent it from showing up when you try to connect)
Unable to connect my devices to the system: my device doesn't appear in the pop-up menu
Make sure your device is on and/or that the battery level is adequate.
Make sure your devices are Bluetooth compatible (some heart rate monitors and power meters are ANT+ only).
Most connection issues are due to a pre-existing Bluetooth connection between your trainer and another device, like your bike computer or phone. Eliminate Bluetooth connections to any other devices when you start a workout:
TURN OFF Bluetooth on nearby devices
QUIT applications that connect to the device like Zwift or TrainerRoad
UNPAIR your trainer from nearby devices, like your watch or phone
TURN OFF your bike computer head unit (you can turn it back on once the trainer is paired in Google Chrome)
This can also be due to the device not being awake. Many sport devices reduce or stop their Bluetooth transmission when idle. If you're having trouble connecting a smart trainer, cadence sensor and/or power meter, try riding your bike for 10-15 seconds to ensure that the sensors are actively transmitting.
- Make sure you click on the device in the pop-up menu and then click the "pair" button.
I have a wheel-on smart trainer, and the resistance is so high I can barely pedal
- Make sure that your trainer tire is pumped up adequately and that your tension settings, if you have them, are correct.
- Do a spindown calibration on your trainer.
- Double check your weight and FTP in the platform and make sure it's not set too high.
- When you connect your trainer, UNCHECK the "power comes from my smart trainer" box. This will allow you to select your trainer for power, but disconnect the resistance control, allowing you to ride more easily.
I'm constantly running out of gears / can't get into certain zones (e.g. the resistance is so high that even in my easiest gear, I can't get into Z1)
- Make sure that your weight and FTP is set correctly in the platform.
- Do a spindown calibration on your trainer
- Due to the wide range of cassettes on bikes, you probably won't be able to hit every combination of power and cadence in every session. This is expected and it's OK! If you have occasional trouble especially at end-of-range intervals, don't worry about it. However, if you are unable to hit entire zones (e.g. can't get into Z1 even in your easiest gear), please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know so that we can investigate further.
Data dropouts during the session
- This is commonly caused by either Bluetooth interference, or poor Internet speed. Check the connections listed above, and run a speed test to check whether you have a strong connection.
- Check the connection between your device and the platform by looking for the signal strength icon in the top right corner of the live/VOD screen. If you’re low on bars, you may have trouble getting the system to work properly.
- Check the battery status of your device. You can do this by checking on the device itself, or by clicking the Home button on the top left corner of velocity and looking at the device icons across the top of the screen -- they will show your battery status for each device.
My power meter is only displaying half the watts I’m putting out
- Some single-sided power meters need to be set up specifically to double the power numbers they are transmitting. Check your power meter’s manual to see how to set it up for “2-sided” transmission.
I can’t hear others/hear the instructor, and/or nobody can hear me
- This is usually caused by there being multiple audio inputs/outputs.
- Check to make sure Chrome is sending audio to the correct device for speakers and microphone.
- Check to make sure you don’t have additional speakers/microphones/headsets connected. NOTE: this can include some external monitors or TVs.
I'm having ongoing issues with your devices and/or want to use ERG mode, but still want to follow the VOD
- No problem! Click the eyeball icon in the top right corner of the screen, then click Data Gauges. This will turn off the data overlays, while still allowing you to see the workout itself and the VOD video. You can now use your Wahoo or Tacx app on your phone to control your trainer in ERG mode while following along with the VOD onscreen.
- We do not recommend trying to align a Zwift structured ride with the VOD -- it's difficult to line the beginning of the sessions up exactly.
My issue isn't listed here but I still need help
- We are here for you! Please email us at email@example.com and we will help you out. If possible, please go through the troubleshooting steps above first to ensure that you have ruled out the most common issues. Please also include as much information as you can about which devices you have and what the issue is. This will help us address your tech questions more quickly!