Purple Patch is now building all of our bike workouts in “structured” format. This means that those sessions can be followed on certain devices and can be used with smart trainers and programs like Zwift and TrainerRoad.
For those of you who use Zwift, it is possible to link it to your Today’s Plan account so your workouts will automatically be available when you log in to Zwift. Not only that, when you link your workouts, you will get coaching cues from Matt himself! Step-by-step instructions from Zwift on how to link your account can be found here. A brief tutorial video is also available here.
Once you have linked your accounts, your training will show up in Zwift. To find your workout:
- Log in to Zwift
- When you reach the Start screen select “Training”
- Make sure “Workouts” is selected
- Find “Today’s Plan Custom Workouts”
- Choose the workout you want to do and click “Workout”
- When the Start screen reloads, click “Ride” and complete your workout
- When you are finished with your workout, click “Save & Exit” and the stats of your workout will be automatically uploaded to Today’s Plan.
Step-by-step instructions on how to find and start your Today’s Plan workout in Zwift can be found here.
The structured workouts in Today’s Plan can be downloaded and imported into TrainerRoad. In order to download a bike workout from Today’s Plan:
- Go to your Today’s Plan Calendar
- Open one of your workouts
- Click the “Download” icon in the upper right of the workout screen
- Select TrainerRoad/Mobile Intervals MRC
Once the file is downloaded, simply drop it into the TrainerRoad Workout Creator, and you’re ready to ride. More information from TrainerRoad can be found here.
Today’s Plan can sync your upcoming workouts to your Garmin device using three methods.
1. Use Garmin Connect
Garmin has released their training API files so now it is easier than ever to upload structured workouts to your device. This means you will no longer need to go through the Today's Plan IQ app and the sessions will integrate with older Garmin devices.
If you wish to utilize this great new feature:
- Go to your Today's Plan account on your computer (not your mobile app)
- Click on your name then click "Account"
- Click on "Connections"
- Ensure you are connected to Garmin Connect under "Incoming" and Garmin for "Outgoing. This will require you signing into your Garmin Connect account
- Open your Garmin Connect app on your mobile phone or your computer. Look at your calendar and check out the newly uploaded structured workouts on your calendar. This may take up to 10 minutes to update. Sessions will only populate 5 days into the future.
- Sync your device with Garmin Connect to update your device
For more information, read Today's Plan's instructions.
2. Manual Download
Using the manual download method, navigate to the upcoming workout on your calendar, click on it, and then navigate to the top right of the workout summary modal. There is an options icon in the top right that allows you to manually export the workout to a Garmin TXC file, with either heart rate or power targets.
Save this file to your Garmin’s Garmin/NewFiles directory and then turn the Garmin off/on.
When it restarts, navigate to the Workouts folder and your exported workout should be listed.
To use Shifter, ensure that your Garmin is connected to your computer and that Shifter is installed and running. If you haven’t yet paired your Garmin device with Shifter, do this by:
- Click File then select Add device
- Select “Search for my connected devices”
- Under the device settings, choose whether you would like to sync your upcoming workouts with either Power or Heart rate targets.
- Click "Ok"
If you have already paired your device with Shifter and would like to begin syncing upcoming workouts to your Garmin:
- Click File then select Manage devices
- Select your device from the list of paired devices
- Choose whether you would like to sync your upcoming workouts with either Power or Heart rate targets.
- Click "Ok"
The Shifter will sync a week's worth of workouts to your Garmin and will automatically remove old workouts.
Simply connect your Garmin to your computer every few days to ensure iti s always loaded up with your upcoming workouts!
A tutorial from Today’s Plan on using the Shifter app to upload workouts to your Garmin is available here.