As we head toward the new year, we wanted to provide you with some exciting new additions to your optional workout library. Many of you have asked for some extended offerings around core and mobility, as well as more options for integrating strength into the time-starved schedule. Below, we discover what is coming in the new year.
As we venture into the build phase of the year, there will be a two-part progression of the main strength in each week:
Phase One of the Build Phase - Continued focus around the existing exercises:
- Day One: Deadlifts
- Day Two: Squats
The difference is that you will be asked to increase load and challenge, with higher weight and less reps.
Phase Two of the Build Phase - An evolution of exercises. We will transition to explosive work paired with two brand new sessions anchored around:
- Day One: Hang Clean
- Day Two: Box Jumps
You will enjoy this transition as we step into brand new sessions.
Additions to the Optional Workout Library
Beyond the central strength sessions that occur twice weekly, you will now have options to bolster your routine — all via the optional workout library (on the right side of your calendar). In this library you will have:
- Treadmill+Strength Circuits: This is a fun alternative to pure strength and a time-efficient way to combine form-based, powerful running with the specific strength program of the phase. These sessions last 40 to 60 minutes and include:
- The strength routine imbedded in the phase of training we are in (the workouts get refreshed as we progress through the baseline program)
- Integrated treadmill intervals - focus on technique, strength, hills, and power. Some athletes will walk, others will run.
- A combination of grade (% hill) and speed (described in effort) during the run intervals.
These are fun and can be dragged into your calendar as replacements for the normal strength, but remember that they also include 25-35 minutes of running intervals in there!
- Core Routines: You asked — so, we deliver. We wouldn’t want to disappoint! You will now be able to find two short 10 to 20-minute routines solely focused around core stability and strength. You are free to simply drag and drop into your calendar as they fit in with life with not many limitations on how frequently you execute these. Think of them as sweet bonus sessions to supplement the main strength. All four are supported with how-to video tutorials.
- Mobility Routines: In the same vein, we also have developed three standalone mobility sessions. Each one is 10 to 20 minutes in duration and focused around mobility of the joints, rejuvenation, and tissue health. As with the core sessions, free free to utilize these as they fit into your schedule.
All of the above are for your enjoyment and usage. They further the commitment to integrate strength and conditioning successfully into our performance puzzle.
In the new year, we will formally introduce the Build Phase of strength, including a specific Office Hours on the subject.
Have a dig around — we hope they are useful.
The Purple Patch Team