Note: Your hotspot for all virtual classes and updated Zoom links will be on the Purple Patch EVENT CALENDAR in the Education Hub.
You can also do a quick hop to the detailed monthly calendar of events — with zoom links —on this expanded calendar. We encourage you to bookmark this page.
Troops, this is one of the more important Coach’s Corner editions I have written, and I do so on behalf of the entire Purple Patch team. First and foremost, we all really appreciate that this is an incredibly challenging time for everyone. It is one that we hope will unite and support us all, but cannot claim that it will all be rosy and cheerful as we drive forward.
Our collective mantra is focused around these simple three words: Stabilize - Adapt - Innovate. If we come together, we can thrive. When we cannot be together, we need each other more than ever.
Over the last week, we -- as a team -- have stabilized. We have navigated the anxiety and fear, as well as the stark reality of not being able to open the Purple Patch Center over the coming weeks or months. We are OK. We have adapted to the new mid-term realities of our situation and worked hard to ensure those in need are supported and heard. The silver lining of this situation is that we collectively feel that we have a massive role to play now, and are excited to be a bright spark and leader in your individual and collective performance over the coming months. We are innovating around two missions:
- Serve and connect all Purple Patch athletes across programs
- Support the broader fitness and performance community
- Develop a program to give back / support seniors (those most susceptible to the virus)
This week we begin to launch a series of new initiatives and programs for Purple Patch athletes and beyond. We have some programming that is specific to the membership level you have, while a large number of program additions welcome every Purple Patch athlete no matter where they sit in the ecosystem.
None of the new programming below will come at any additional fees to your current setup. We build this to support you in this time - and we want to make it fun!
To fully understand, let me first outline a couple of key training points:
- A Training Opportunity: While exact timing cannot be known, we are mapping the training mindset around a ~ 2 month detour of the training plan. In reviewing the rhythm of training for pros, 1:1 coached athletes, and the Squad, Matt Hurley and I believe there is a great opportunity for each Purple Patch athlete to thrive and develop without the pressure of looming races. We have designed an 8 week (which can expand to 12 weeks) rhythm of training to develop the ‘size of your engine’ and your ‘efficiency.’ It fits the needs of every Purple Patch athlete. We can come together -- for now.
- Align on the KEY sessions: With the above in mind, we have built a sprinkle of weekly sessions that almost every Purple Patch athlete can do, without losing specificity. The Pros to the Squad athletes. The most central of these are two weekly bike trainer sessions. We have asked each coach to aim to prescribe these ‘catch all’ sessions as often as possible, in the same way I will aim to do with my pros and individually coached athletes. Don’t worry, we are not going generic! By aligning on a couple of sessions, individual coaches can then tailor around these with the highly individual programming that aligns with current access.
So what are we doing? Let’s get the additions specific to the various membership levels mapped first:
- Private video coached sessions with Matt Dixon / Matt Hurley
- Periodic all-Pro Squad video calls with Matt Dixon / Matt Hurley
Matt Dixon 1:1 and Senior Coaches’ 1:1:
- Periodic invite-only virtual training sessions
- Invite only ‘executive leadership’ programming with TJA Leadership’s Tom Andrews and myself.
1:1 Coached Athletes:
- Small-Group Virtual Office Hour and Virtual Training Sessions delivered by your own coach.
- Highly tailored daily programming aligned with access and needs
- Special 1:1 athlete tutorials and office hours with the coaches (senior coach + your coach).
- A completely reimagined baseline program to fit the coming weeks, with a focus on high flexibility and common access of facilities
- A build-out of the optional workout library (to the side of your calendar) with various options to pull into your calendar. These include home-circuits, mobility work and more.
- We realize access to swimming varies on location and set up. Each swim session includes a pool option, open water option, and a stay-home dryland circuit.
While there are a few important additions, outlined above, our greater mission is to bring all together through this time - Purple Patch athletes together under the banner of resilience. Below is a set of offerings that will be offered: (please note which membership level it will be open to)
- Daily Bulletin: We are going to hit you with a helpful video bulletin daily. Something fun, helpful and easy to execute. It will come from our coaching team and won’t take up more than 2 minutes of your day. (all athletes)
- Coach’s Bulletin and Squad Sunday Special: We will continue with the regular weekly bulletins for athletes. (all athletes receive one or both)
- Coach-Led Monday Sessions: Our coaching team will host Monday video sessions for all athletes. We will post the curriculum weekly, with a reminder in the daily bulletin. (all athletes)
- Expert-Led Thursday Sessions: Special Edition office Hours led by experts in fields and partners. (Only open to Purple Patch athletes - Squad members and above. Recorded for Edu Members)
- Coffee with the Pros - Sarah Piampiano and Chelsea Sodaro: Get ready for stories, laughs, insights and inspiration from our pro champions and their guests. (Only open to Purple Patch athletes - Squad members and above. Recorded for Edu Members)
Live Virtual Training:
- Strength and Mobility or Activation with Mike Olzinski: Twice Weekly 30 min session with Mike - anchored around PP strength progressions from home. (all athletes)
- Swim Bands Sessions: John Stevens and I will host 30 min swim band sessions. (all athletes)
- Core and Mobility with the Pros (Chelsea/Sarah): You can now follow along with Chelsea and Sarah as they execute one of their weekly sessions with their strength Coach, Charlie Reid. (all athletes)
- Bike Classes with MD: They are coming! A week or two away, but these should be fun! (Live for 1:1 coached athletes and above, recorded for Squad)
Session Meetups: We also have already scheduled Zwift meetups (with audio chat via discord). These align with those central bike sessions I mentioned above!
- Zwift Team Meet-Up Rides with PP coach: Coach-led sessions aligned with Weds / Friday Workouts (via Zwift + Discord) (Squad and above members)
- Zwift with the Pros: Sam Appleton and Kevin Collington will lead pro Zwift sessions aligned with Weds/Friday classes (via Zwift + Discord) (Squad and above members)
With all programming, we are trying to be as sensitive as our own schedule allows to welcome athletes across different time zones.
Also, we will learn as we go! I am sure we will make mistakes, need to iterate and evolve, and also draw on you, the athletes to innovate even more. Please be patient with us.
Supporting the Community:
Get Set Up: A factor of this Covid-19 situation is that it has focused us on all the health and wellness of seniors. Purple Patch is going to partner with an organization named GET SET UP. We are going to contribute a set of education and virtual fitness programming for free to their audience -- the most vulnerable to this illness. The mission is mental and physical resilience and health. We are all athletic -- and Purple Patch has always believed in the whole human. Stay tuned for more info in this space.
Phew, that was a biggie. As ever, reach out to us if you have any questions or concerns. I would encourage you each to join our private Facebook page of athletes, which is not dedicated to Squad athletes only. All Purple Patch athletes are welcome.
Let’s get cracking.
Matt and the entire Purple Patch team
Post is closed for comments.